Home > Australia, Business, Craft > Craft: Halloween watermelon, Queensland-style!

Craft: Halloween watermelon, Queensland-style!

In time for Halloween, Yours Truly reviewed the traditional pumpkin for its carving qualities.

To remind you of the pumpkin and its price:

Pumpkins, from $20!!!

Because Auntie and I like value for money as much as the next person, we’ve decided to share with you our secret for next year. Instead of fully participating in the overpriced pumpkin rort, we’re going to do it Queensland-style, using watermelons!

Auntie had a crack at it and produced this specimen. With practice, she’ll get it looking more mean …

Aussie watermelon beats American pumpkin!

Advertisements
Categories: Australia, Business, Craft
  1. natasha yannuccelli
    November 2, 2010 at 10:52 pm

Great idea… however the watermelon would last HEAPS longer in tupperware!! x

• November 3, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Natasha, I fully agree that Auntie needs to improve her food storage practices! I shall admonish her for her lapse in judgment and tell her where to go for Tupperware! šŸ™‚

2. Jacqueline
    November 3, 2010 at 9:47 am

Can we paint the watermelon orange after you have removed all the juicy fruit inside or is that going a little too far?

• November 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Jacqueline, if you can recommend a paint that will stick to said watermelon, I shall fearlessly endeavour to treat the watermelon to an orange suntan. Otherwise, Auntie and I are starting our own Halloween tradition with green non-pumpkin lanterns. (She had a hard time convincing her kids that they were really green pumpkins that tasted like watermelon).

By the way, I roasted the pumpkin and it was inedible, it tasted that bad. Even the chooks thought so. That would explain why the fruit markets dumped 400 of these pumpkins the day after Halloween – they’re no good for anything else. On the other hand, we can eat the insides of any given watermelon until our own insides burst, and still do it for well under the $20 pumpkin price tag! Hurray for watermelons!

3. Jacqueline
    November 5, 2010 at 10:44 am

I think starting the watermelon tradition is a much better idea than painting it orange…I’ll try and spread it in my suburb too next year. Considering the lantern began as a turnip in Scotland and Ireland and became a pumpkin in America. I think in Australia it should become a watermelon! Well done guys!!

4. November 8, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Turnips? Fascinating!

Thanks for the cheer, Jacqueline. It makes Auntie and I braver, to take on new challenges and projects!

I look forward to seeing lots of Halloween watermelons next year.
    T.