Home > Australia, Life, Social Commentary, Writing > Office politics: What to do about the milk?

Office politics: What to do about the milk?

This may be a short, but very significant post.

What do YOU do to stop co-workers using up ALL of your milk within a day of purchase?

I’m convinced that someone on my floor is bathing in my milk like Cleopatra, because it disappears Just Like That. I wrote my name in permanent ink pen on it, following office protocol. I also tried writing the name of crankier, slightly scarier individuals on it. Today, I tried something new….

Will this deter the milk thief?

I don’t mind the occasional sharing. However, from my last bottle of milk, I only had 3 cups of coffee (which is enough for one day of average output. No coffee, no workee).

If this doesn’t work, I’m thinking of writing EXPRESSED BREAST MILK on the bottle. Although, that might be going too far. After all, I  don’t need to include the word “expressed”, because it’s self-evident. If it weren’t expressed, well, it’d be a breast in the fridge (and no-one wants that).

Does your workplace have this problem? What are your handy hints?

Advertisements
  1. July 6, 2011 at 10:33 pm

Oh, that’s frustrating! I haven’t had that problem with my milk, but I buy an expensive vegan butter that I tuck away in the most remote, hidden corners of the fridge with my name all over it . . . only to still find that with all the non-vegan variants out there, folks seek it out and use huge chunks of it. Not just little tiny swipes, but ounces at a time!

I assume this is just because they can, given all the alternatives, but it’s maddening on my grumbly days. I wouldn’t make a point to use their food! Indeed, I buy a BBQ sauce that I leave unmarked because I do like sharing some items.

I actually do like the “breast milk” idea. Something I learned from my recent pumping days was that people will leave a healthy radius around milk that comes in pumping bottles. So, even apart from marking anything on it (an added bonus?), you might find positive results by changing bottles.

You could also make a point of drinking from the bottle if any of the suspected culprits are around to witness. 😉

• July 6, 2011 at 10:52 pm

Sheer brilliance, Deborah! I’ll have to find an old breast pump bottle. It requires no description! Thanks for that. 🙂

2. July 6, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Hi Theresa,
    I hope you find a solution, the goat milk was a stroke of genius, although if people really want milk and that is all that is available they may use it anyway. I never had this problem when I was working, as the boss supplied milk for our tea or coffee, but we had to bring in our own coffee or tea, which everyone kept with them, but fruit used to disappear, one minute it was there and the next….. it was like these invisible elf’s would come and whisk it away. 🙂

3. July 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm

It would put me off – I hate goat milk, goat cheese, goat anything.

4. Jacqueline
    July 12, 2011 at 9:03 am

pop a straw in it and just twist the lid so the straw is squashed but hangs out the top of the bottle….label it with your name and then tell everyone you have a nasty virus

• July 12, 2011 at 11:10 am

Sheer brilliance. The straw alone may do the trick, particularly if the protruding bit is chewed. Love it. Thanks Jacqui!

5. August 1, 2011 at 10:13 am

I love the “goat milk”… couldn’t stop laughing. Did it work?

But try “expired” … that should definitely deter anyone from being bold enough to question it.

• August 3, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Hi Christine – yes, the goat milk has worked thus far! “Expired” is a top idea too, except that we have fridge police here who throw out expired food along with the Tupperware it comes in!

1. No trackbacks yet.